This Friday according to the website www.tfdutch.com/foodh is National Strawberry Short Cake Day. Here is my recipe but I make them as cupcakes. I developed this recipe a few summers ago while I was teaching cooking classes at Camp Dina, a sleep away summer camp for girls. It was a huge hit.
You can also make it for Dad or Grandpa for fathers day.
Strawberry Short Cake Cupcakes
3/4 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Slices of fresh strawberries for garnish
Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl beat well oil, lemon juice, and sugar for 1 minute. Add vanilla and eggs. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the batter mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into a disposable cupcake tin that holds 6.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until batter is firm. The cakes may puff up into a peak but that is okay.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
- Once cupcakes have cooled take each cupcake and slice into 3 or 4 even slices.
- Spread each slice with strawberry jam and some whipped cream and stack slices one on top of another. Repeat with each cup cake. You should have 6 cup cakes in total.
- On top layer spread whipped cream and garnish with fresh strawberries.